(Chicken Sambal) Serves 6 - 8
- 1 chicken
- 10 dried red chillies
- 10 shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 cm piece ginger - pound half
- 2 cm piece galangal - pound half
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 piece tamarind (asam keping)
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for deep-frying
- Clean the chicken and cut into eight. Mix with
the flour ( this clears the smell of the
chicken). Wash and drain well.
- Season the chicken with half the pounded ginger
- Heat the oil and fry the chicken pieces until
- Pound finely the chillies, shallots, galangal,
garlic and remaining ginger.
- Remove half of the oil and fry the pounded
ingredients until fragrant.
- Add the tamarind and salt.
- Add 1 cup water and bring to the boil. Stir
constantly for a few minutes then add the chicken
pieces. Mix well. Simmer till chicken is tender.
- Serve with plain boiled rice.